Thursday 17 April 2014

Surfing Art

Being married to a surfer means I have to embrace that world - I pretend to be excited over how light the latest board is; and I know when there is a big swell to just let him go. But luckily for both of us I love the cool, laid back surfy vibe, and I like to incorporate his love of the surf into my love of interior design.

One of our local artists, Rakai Karaitiana, has taken some awesome photographs of local surf. You can purchase his prints from Aroha and Friends in Napier - enquire in-store or drop them an email.




Aquabumps in Sydney has a huge range of amazing photographic prints dedicated to early morning beach life. I have picked out a few that I'd love to get framed for our home.




Another website with beautiful images, including stunning aerial photographs from all over the world, is Gray Malin. The Gray Malin brand was fostered by a deep passion for photography and interior design, merged with a spirit for travel and adventure.




Now, in collaboration with the premiere craftsmen of Almond, Gray Malin have created a line of surfboards featuring their aerial À la Plage images. As well as being 100% surf-able, they can also be hung in your home - no prizes as to which I would do!





This reminds me of the crazy-beautiful Gypsy surfboard range created by a collaboration between McTavish and Sibella Court.




They're just so incredible, my biggest dilemma would be which design to choose. But one day I will have one of these boards on my wall - don't ask my when or how, but it will happen!


via

via

2 comments :

  1. I love this style toooo! They have some amazing wooden boards in Aroha as well. Much too nice to actually surf on (especially if you're as bad at it as I am...!) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Fiona. I tried to find an image of them to use in this blog post. They're very cool x

      Delete

It's lovely to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Best wishes, Vic xxx

Blogging tips